Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Rings on coins and moved letters and numbers. What is it? How does it happen?

If you are a coin roll hunter, or just like to check through your pocket change, there is no doubt that you will come across many anomalies. From varieties like doubled dies and RPMs, to errors like CUDS and die cracks. You will also find many things that have no explanation at all, other than damage of some sort. Most times, damage can not be fully explained since there are literally endless ways for a coin to become damaged. There are however, a few types of damage that can be explained. This post is highlighting one of those ways that is many times mistaken as an error. I'm talking about coin rolling machine crimper damage. The machines that are used to put the coins into rolls automatically also crimp the ends closed. These would be the rolls that you get from the bank in 3rd party company rolls like Brinks, Loomis, or NF String and Sons. These are circulated coins that have been rolled by these companies and sent back to the banks.

This type of damage takes many forms and I will be adding pictures of each form to this article as I get them sent to me. In most cases, you will simply see a thin scratch around the outside of the coin near the edge in a circular pattern. Other times some letters or numbers will be flattened. In some other cases a digit will actually be moved, but still be attached. This is the type that usually baffles people.

The reason that this type of damage takes many forms is really quite simple. First of all, there are many different types of rolling machines. From the small machines you can purchase and use at home, to large industrial types used by the larger rolling companies. There are also other factors such as machine settings, coin thickness, etc...


In some case you will simply have a circular scratch around the coin. In other cased, the letters or numbers will actually be moved. This is just a form of damage.


18 comments:

  1. Thank you Christopher I have a better idea of what anomalies I might be looking at now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good info. I found one last week where the I in liberty was pushed completely up against the B. But you could see the indent where the I used to be. Also Ive seen the circular scratch, the tell tale sign of a coin once being an ender coin.

      Delete
  2. I suppose this answers my question..1966, "I" pushed against the "B" in LIBERTY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some nice examples I just came across the other day on some 86's if you want my pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You completed a few fine points there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all persons will go along with with your blog. CryptoMixer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this is an informative and interesting post so i think so it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Mut 21 coins

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. マリッジリング

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts.Thanks 結婚指輪

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, What an Outstanding post. I found this too much informatics. It is what I was seeking for. I would like to recommend you that please keep sharing such type of info.If possible, Thanks. CAEX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, What an Outstanding post. I found this too much informatics. It is what I was seeking for. I would like to recommend you that please keep sharing such type of info.If possible, Thanks. raw garden carts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also HNT Coin

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it.. Sa gaming

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. ราคาทอง

    ReplyDelete
  13. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!
    raw garden carts

    ReplyDelete

  14. The Madden 22 roster updates for the week have mmoexp been coming out more regularly now that we are on week 4. The Week 3 update was released just in time for the Thursday Night games and we're sure that for Week 4 we'll have it prior to the Thursday game this week too. We received the first update just in time to watch the opening game of the season. The update from Week 2 may just have been a special situation, since it didn't require an update on the roster as shortly after the 53-man roster update. Moving forward, EA might consistently update Madden nfl 22 coins the rosters every mid-week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent effort to make this blog more wonderful and attractive. Pocket Option review

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice article, I enjoyed reading your post, very nice share, I want to twit this to my followers. Thanks!. Pocket Option reviewed

    ReplyDelete