Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Bezel Coins

I was recently contacted by a fellow group member on the Coin Opp Facebook group about an interesting coin. It appeared thicker than normal with an extra rim, or at least it appeared so. I have actually been contacted about this type of coin before and I knew exactly what it was. This was a coin that was in a jewelry bezel. To the untrained eye, it may appear as though the coin and bezel are one in the same, but this just isn't true. Usually the bezels are made of the same alloy as the coin or similar alloy so the color is a match. Sometimes the coin/bezel combo is plated so that it looks to be one piece, but I can assure you that these were never produced this way from the mint, nor is it an error. See visual below. If anyone has any other pictures they would like to share of coins in bezels, or even coins that were in bezels but have since been removed, with signs of damage left behind, please contact me and I will add them to this post.


No comments:

Post a Comment